The construction of a home on average takes 4 to 12 months to build a home in Brisbane, so during this time, you will need to find somewhere else to live. Compared to buying an existing house where you purchase the home in one go and you can move in right away.
Why build a home?
Building a new home allows you to access the First Home Owners Grant, as well as designing your dream home or as an investment, you can claim depreciation benefits over the first few years.
It really comes down to your personal choice, and goals of what you want to achieve.
And assuming you want to build a home, the question is:
How do you build a home in Brisbane?
Brisbane City Plan 2014 (City Plan) has been developed by Brisbane City Council in consultation with the community to support a simple, fast and clear development assessment process. The plan guides how land in Brisbane can be used and developed to support population growth, while protecting our enviable way of life.
City Plan includes a variety of housing options to meet Brisbane residents’ diverse and changing needs.
This page outlines how City Plan applies to new houses and house extensions in a residential zone, how to check if you require planning approval from Council and basic design requirements.
Do I need approval to build or extend my house?
Council is keen to make it as easy as possible to plan the construction of or extension to your home.
A City Plan online property enquiry using the mapping tool can help you determine if the proposal requires Council approval.
You can also phone Council on (07) 3403 8888 during business hours and ask to speak to a Planning Information Officer.
While Council aims to assist you through the process, you may wish to engage a consultant, town planner, surveyor or other appropriately qualified professional for help with your building or development project.
How do I complete an assessment myself?
In most cases, you can assess your own application by meeting the identified criteria of the Dwelling house code or Dwelling house (small lot) code and any relevant overlay codes and neighbourhood plan codes. If you meet the identified requirements, you do not need to lodge a development application with Council.
How do I find out what zones, overlays and neighbourhood plans affect my property?
Council has made it easy to find all the relevant information for your property when planning to extend or build a new house. City Plan online mapping tool allows you to view your property on a map to see the zones, overlays and neighborhood plans that apply to your site.
How does mortgage broker help you build a house?
To build a house you are going to need a loan. But a good mortgage broker can help with much more than just getting a loan.
- A mortgage broker can help you work out what you can afford to build, or if you will need to look at saving some extra money or closing a personal loan or credit card before talking to the banks. Having a clear picture on your budget will help you find the perfect block of land, and home for you.
- The best mortgage brokers can help with strategies to save more deposit and setting goals so when it’s time to start building your home everything is ready to go. They will keep you on track and moving towards your goals of building a home in Brisbane.
- Did you know that over 40% of loan applications were declined last year? Don’t get your loan declined to apply for a loan through a lender that doesn’t do construction loans. It is common for there to be issues with valuations, and a bank might want you to put in extra money at the last minute. Don’t get caught out.
- The build process can be complicated, and involves organizing lots of different parties from the real estate agents, solicitors, builders, architects to your accountant… Edgeview Finance will help guide you through the process.
- Once you have started building your home, the builder will require 6 stages of payments before the property is completed – The deposit, the base, the frame, lock up, fixing and the completed stage.There is a MASSIVE amount of paperwork involved in arranging payment from the bank to the builder which the best mortgage brokers will manage for you.